Stoke City - The English Thread

Moryo

Afternoon everybody :)

I've had a couple of busy days, which is why I haven't been able to answer some of your questions, I am still beaming about the win on Sunday :D

Congratulations on your win, I am just about to watch the highlights after this message :)

I have seen that England U21's take on Israel U21's next monday, I would go if I wasn't working as it is cheap and only a couple of hours from me. Hoepfully I can get the highlights of this too because somebody said 6 of your players play for the Israel U21's.

There was comments about the working class, it didn't quite make sense to me, but I think somebody said they hate the working class, because that is what your rivals are. Maybe the working class mean different things to us, here most of the country are working class, especially Stoke-On-trent, and historically and tradiktionally football has always been watched mainly by the working class, it was an escape from a hard week working down mines and similar jobs.

Working class is slightly different now, because we don't have these jobes any more, but we still have a lot of working class, people who are on not such good wages. Which is why a lot of people can't justify paying £40 for a match ticket, a long with all the other costs, and a lot of clubs have lost their working class because of this, to be replaced by much richer, but a lot less passionate fans, main examples are Fulham and Arsenal.

Martin i just noticed its broadcast in israel so you can probably get a stream or something :)

:)

How did they miss that one on one with the keeper :D Shocking miss!

The ref whistled for a hand ball...

זיגפלד, אתה בטוח שלרכוש שחקן ולהשאיל באותה עונה לקבוצה אחרת גם נכלל בחוק הזה?

Martin i just noticed its broadcast in israel so you can probably get a stream or something :)

:)

Work until 9 on Mondays, I think the kick off was 7pm (our time)

The FA website should highlights up anyway, or maybe one of your geniuses can put it up here for me.

בואנה, כמה טיפש אתה צריך להיות בשביל לקרוא לחלי גאון?!

גוגל טרנסלייט הביאו תרגום אדיר למה שרשמת "Buena, how foolish you must be a genius to read my cheek? "

Great Martin :yellow_cool1:

So your coming to israel? you cant miss Moshiko Lugassi, hes better than Xavi and Iniesta together

Possibly, when I find out how much the packages that a company called Sport Options are. Should be alright actually, maybe about £300.

בואנה, כמה טיפש אתה צריך להיות בשביל לקרוא לחלי גאון?!

:yahoo:

אבל בתאכלס חלי אח על מלא, אשכרה הלכתי אליו ממרום מושבי כדי להגיד לו שלום, אפילו דור לא היה זוכה לכבוד הזה ממני.

Possibly, when I find out how much the packages that a company called Sport Options are. Should be alright actually, maybe about £300.

wow

for that price i'd fly to stoke for sure

too bad our package is about double the price :/

סתם שאלה..סטוק בלי עבר באירופה ובלי נקודות כלשהם. איך זה שהם דרג 2? לא הבנתי תקטע עם הנקודות.

בגלל דירוג המדינה יש להם עדיפות? איך זה עובד?

סתם שאלה..סטוק בלי עבר באירופה ובלי נקודות כלשהם. איך זה שהם דרג 2? לא הבנתי תקטע עם הנקודות.

אשכרה איך זה יכול להיות :thumbdown:

הם לא דרג שני, הם דרג שלישי, וזה כי כל קבוצה מקבלת ניקוד מסויים גם מהדירוג של המדינה שהיא באה ממנה, ואנגליה מקום ראשון באירופה אז אני חושב שזה מסביר לכם למה.

כל הדירוג שלהם מבוסס על הדירוג של אנגליה.

הם מקבלים מספיק נקודות מבלי לשחק בכלל בגלל ההצלחה של הקבוצות של הפריימר ליג באירופה.

שים לב למשל שסטוק ובירמינגהאם צמודות בדירוג, כי שתיהם באירופה פעם ראשונה אחרי הרבה שנים.

fuck it....I've god a headache from trying to understand how I need to get from Heatrhow to Stoke-On-Trent by train.

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/assets/pdf/timetables/vt-timetable-b-05-2011.pdf

Here is a timetable from Euston to Stoke-On-Trent, looks like on week days, the train leaves Euston at 25 and 48 minutes past the hour, it also has the times from Stoke-On-trent to Euston.

This train only takes an hour and a half, but may be quite expensive, as it may be at peak time on week days. If you want me to find you the cheaper trains, which take about 3 hours, then just ask I'll help :)

Getting from heathrow to Euston is the complicated bit. I'll write back when I work it out myself ;)

Right, a couple of options available :) As always, the quickest way isn't the cheapest :(

You can get the heathrow express from Heathrow to Paddington, which is £16.50 for a single, and £32 for a return (valid for a month)

Then from Paddington, take the tube to Euston square, then a short walk from there to Euston railway station (it will be well sign posted)

The line you must catch is either the Central, or Hammersmith. Here's a link to the tubes for London http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

If you are feeling adventurous, you could always catch two tubes, straight to Euston, as it has its own Tube station. This will take about half an hour.

The second option is to get the London underground (tube) which will probably start overground straight from heathrow, by catching the piccadilly line to leicester Square, then jump on to the Northern Line, which will take you directly into Euston.

This is much cheaper and will cost £5, however it will take about an hour.

There is also the option of taxi's, I don't know the exact figures, but here's a website which offers transfers

http://www.londonheathrowcars.com/quotes/euston-station-to-heathrow.asp

This is only good if you have a group of you transferring to Euston.

Hope this has been helpful for anybody planning this kind of journey, ask if you need any more help.

Right, a couple of options available :) As always, the quickest way isn't the cheapest :(

You can get the heathrow express from Heathrow to Paddington, which is £16.50 for a single, and £32 for a return (valid for a month)

Then from Paddington, take the tube to Euston square, then a short walk from there to Euston railway station (it will be well sign posted)

The line you must catch is either the Central, or Hammersmith. Here's a link to the tubes for London http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

If you are feeling adventurous, you could always catch two tubes, straight to Euston, as it has its own Tube station. This will take about half an hour.

The second option is to get the London underground (tube) which will probably start overground straight from heathrow, by catching the piccadilly line to leicester Square, then jump on to the Northern Line, which will take you directly into Euston.

This is much cheaper and will cost £5, however it will take about an hour.

There is also the option of taxi's, I don't know the exact figures, but here's a website which offers transfers

http://www.londonheathrowcars.com/quotes/euston-station-to-heathrow.asp

This is only good if you have a group of you transferring to Euston.

Hope this has been helpful for anybody planning this kind of journey, ask if you need any more help.

:wubyellow3:

וואו...נפלנו על הבנאדם הכי סחי בממלכה...

There was comments about the working class, it didn't quite make sense to me, but I think somebody said they hate the working class, because that is what your rivals are. Maybe the working class mean different things to us, here most of the country are working class, especially Stoke-On-trent, and historically and tradiktionally football has always been watched mainly by the working class, it was an escape from a hard week working down mines and similar jobs.

Working class is slightly different now, because we don't have these jobes any more, but we still have a lot of working class, people who are on not such good wages. Which is why a lot of people can't justify paying £40 for a match ticket, a long with all the other costs, and a lot of clubs have lost their working class because of this, to be replaced by much richer, but a lot less passionate fans, main examples are Fulham and Arsenal.

I agree with you mate, that's just what I wrote here in Hebrew - we're all still working class, even if not in the traditional sense, and in Israel the second-highest decile is closer to the lowest one than to the highest... As I said, we had very large protests the previous month or so, including one with 300 thousand people. There is also one scheduled to this Saturday.

http://gigapan.org/gigapans/fullscreen/83547/

Here because everyone is middle class, we are not divided, everything is expensive for everybody.

We feel like we make the money to live, but it all goes to the high living costs. The absurd is that people here spend money because there's no point in saving it... Even doctors make ridiculous wages, and mind you, Israeli medicine should be pretty advanced. The rich are getting richer, they tell us that the economy is doing great, but we don't feel it, we only have less money, despite having shinier phones. Of course, the government tells us that if we can buy an iPhone we have no economic problems, even though as I said, people spend because there's no point in saving... Mortgage is too high for example. And so is rent, which is why we have these protests.

Your football seems a lot slower paced than ours, there is rarely a game in the premier league, which is slow. Also there seems to be less closing down opposition players, more intercepting. Ours will be an interesting game, a complete contrast of styles, our focus on defending, counter-attack, and direct football. Yours is slower, but better passing, and working your way into good positions to shoot.

I agree with you - but I think that in Israel we will try and dictate the tempo. I'm afraid of the away matches, though. Our game is based on "patient" attacks, with short passes. We will have to play more counter-attacks out of Israel. In Israel our best defence is to keep the ball in our possession, we won't be able to do so in Ukraine, Turkey or England I'm afraid. At least not as good as we do here...

As you can see, Shlomi Arbeitman (Gent) is also familiar with our tactics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh3oy7cZFDU

Pass, pass, it's a-come.

(We made fun of this Israeli striker because he speaks English like a 6 year old)

Ours will be an interesting game, a complete contrast of styles, our focus on defending, counter-attack, and direct football. Yours is slower, but better passing, and working your way into good positions to shoot.

When people here tried to decided earlier which team is better, Maccabi or Stoke, that's what I thought. It is impossible to compare between the two teams because they are so different, from the basis. One is a classic mid-table team (still playing in the toughest league) which is tough, with players that do a lot of "dirty work", and the other one is a classic "big" team (but is still much more anonymous than the other team) that looks for glory (rather than for survival) and is based mostly on players' talent and technique. That's why I like this matchup so much. And I personally expect the players of these two teams to feel pretty awkward at the start of the game between us. :D

yea really sorry for you that you had to see that.

But you did have it coming when you agreed to watch this match :flowers:

When people here tried to decided earlier which team is better, Maccabi or Stoke, that's what I thought. It is impossible to compare between the two teams because they are so different, from the basis. One is a classic mid-table team (still playing in the toughest league) which is tough, with players that do a lot of "dirty work", and the other one is a classic "big" team (but is still much more anonymous than the other team) that looks for glory (rather than for survival) and is based mostly on players' talent and technique. That's why I like this matchup so much. And I personally expect the players of these two teams to feel pretty awkward at the start of the game between us. :D

yea really sorry for you that you had to see that.

But you did have it coming when you agreed to watch this match :flowers:

A very fair review of our two sides there, although we are past the stage of just searching for survival, we are comfotably mid-tabvle now.

You could be right about the awkwardness, although as we do with many passing teams, we try to make them play more like us, by frustrating them, so I expect you to take a while to find your feet when playing us.

I've seen worse misses though, I'll get you the one from Kenwyne Jones against Blackpool last season

http://www.sportyhub.com/league/blackpool-vs-stoke-city-motd-highlights-3042011-video_724476899.html

47 seconds in, it still makes me laugh :D

We are looking good for transfers today aswell. Palacios should be finalised, Bendtner and Jerome look very likely, plus maybe a couple others.

how much is the annual budget of stoke?

As much as we need!

Our chairman owns Bet365, and the Coates family have a big fortune.

However the plan is to make us self-sufficient in the premeir league, so we keep within a strict wage budget so that we don't get into financial problems like Leeds and portsmouth have done.

We bought Kenwyne jones for £8 million last season, and we bid near £20m for palacios and Crouch, but Crouch turned us down.