Stoke City - The English Thread

Moryo

I see..

I have additional questions about English football if you don't mind :)

Does Stoke (or any other club basically...) have any sort of a group or organization that 'leads' and conducts the chanting in games?

I mean, here we have fan organizations that are pretty much in charge of what happens in the stands - tifo and singing.

Now I know you don't have any tifo because it's not allowed, but you do sing. Who decides what to sing and when? How does it even start?

Also I'm really curious about this - Where are the matches broadcasted?

Being a country that one of its biggest assets is football, are the channels free for everybody?

Here in Israel league matches are not free for all viewers, and you have to pay for them.

And one last thing - are there any football firms nowadays?

Nobody leads chanting in English football, our atmosphere's are very different from yours, songs and chants are usually started by a couple of people and then everybody joins in. Or if our player Kenwyne Jones does something good, then usually his song will be sung straight away. Nobody decides what and when songs are sung. The only exception is aour big song 'delilah' which is srated by one guy. You will notice it's about to start when you hear a big 'whooooooahhh'

Football on TV here is quite strict. The majority of games aren't shown live, there is a rule that if a game is kicked off at 3pm on saturday, then it is illegal to show this live on TV, this is to ensure that fans still go to matches instead of watching at home.

Eevery weekend 3 or 4 games are show on TV though, usually through Sky Sports. These are changed to either 12.30 kick off, or 5.30 kick off and saturday, or it is moved to Sunday, these are the games that are on TV. We have to pay to watch these, with a subscription to Sky, or ESPN, which is expensive.

The FA Cup, the League Cup, and the Europa League can all be watched on free-to-air national television, so we don't have to pay. This doesn't happen evry often though.

Most of the time if we are unable to go to a match, we have to find an internet stream, and watch i online, or just watch the highlights on match of the Day.

how many stoke fans do you predict that will come?

Hard to predict, I think that we will take the least to Kiev, because it is so soon, less than a month ago, but it still seems fairly cheap. Then a decent amount to Tel-aviv, between 500-1000, more times for people to save up even though it is our most expensive European trip. Then we will take the most to Besiktas, it is the cheapest trip, and also the one with the longest to save our money, this is one I am definitely going, and hopefully I'll be coming to Tel-Aviv too :)

Nobody leads chanting in English football, our atmosphere's are very different from yours, songs and chants are usually started by a couple of people and then everybody joins in. Or if our player Kenwyne Jones does something good, then usually his song will be sung straight away. Nobody decides what and when songs are sung. The only exception is aour big song 'delilah' which is srated by one guy. You will notice it's about to start when you hear a big 'whooooooahhh'

Still,do you have songs that you sing in a specific minute?

or all the songs are sung randomly?

Still,do you have songs that you sing in a specific minute?

or all the songs are sung randomly?

Nope, randomly usually. You might find this weird, but we find orchestrating crowds weird in the same way.

We sing Delilah after goals, and that's the limit of organisation :P

Nope, randomly usually. You might find this weird, but we find orchestrating crowds weird in the same way.

We sing Delilah after goals, and that's the limit of organisation :P

So anyone from the crowd can pick a song and everyone will go after him?

So anyone from the crowd can pick a song and everyone will go after him?

Simply, yes.

There are areas on the Britannia stadium which start more songs, we have block 19, who are the young chavs, The boothen end where the Delilah starts, and most songs that spread across the ground start. The South Stand, next to the away fans start their oiwn songs, usually the just wind the away fans up ;D.

Football on TV here is quite strict. The majority of games aren't shown live, there is a rule that if a game is kicked off at 3pm on saturday, then it is illegal to show this live on TV, this is to ensure that fans still go to matches instead of watching at home.

That actually sounds like a good idea to attract fans to matches. Sadly, if there were no broadcasts here till a certain hour, it wouldn't make the people go to the matches, they simply wouldn't watch the league.

About the way you start songs - I think here in Israel it would have been a whole mess if we didn't have groups like The 12th Player to get things going, so what you guys are doing would never work.

Man.... I think one of the most amazing things in England is that everybody cares for football...

I mean everybody goes to games, you all follow it. We don't have those kind of things here. I guess it's related to the fact that our league isn't that good so if somebody doesn't have affection to a certain team he wouldn't just start watching the league, and he'd rather support a foreign team.

Man.... I think one of the most amazing things in England is that everybody cares for football...

I mean everybody goes to games, you all follow it. We don't have those kind of things here. I guess it's related to the fact that our league isn't that good so if somebody doesn't have affection to a certain team he wouldn't just start watching the league, and he'd rather support a foreign team.

totally! the football is like a second religion in England

wish we could be half like in England. if so, the israeli football player would might train much more

(just for u to know, the players in the english league train like double time than the israeli players, (

but even though the football here is not popular as it is in England, still, it is the most popular sport in Israel

You would think that but Arsenal fans are among the worst I know, no atmosphere, and the majority of their fans are middle-class.

That is a problem with English football, the ticket prices, and costs of going to the game have driven out many working class, which is why the atmosphere is often poor.

Here we say fuck the working class.(hapoel means working class, comunists and other stuff like that)h

I just found by accident an interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z43nm-ZrL0Q

This is a match between Maccabi's basketball team and Crystal Palace. In the same season Maccabi won our 2nd European championship.

I was looking for our goals against Hapoel Petach-Tikva (last week, 1st matchday) but couldn't find it on YouTube.

I know that they block videos of the Premier League, but is there any chance that you can find me highlights of your match against West Brom? Congrats on your win by the way, I am cheering for you now in England (alongside Spurs). I think that's what's nice about this Europa League, the chance to meet fans of other teams without this sense of rivalry - I can't imagine us rooting for a team in Israel and them for us like some of our fans and your fans do here. It's really nice actually.

I must ask - after the summer, and the first two games - what are your goals for this season?

Here we say fuck the working class.(hapoel means working class, comunists and other stuff like that)h

Which is kind of bullshit, they are only supposedly working class.

And in Israel today everyone is "middle class", which is becoming altogether a poorer class, which is why we have protests (300,000 people in the streets of Tel-Aviv this month), but that's not the topic here.

Sadly, there are people who think that they hate the "working class" because Hapoel are supposedly so...

:|

What he meant to say is fuck Hapoel Tel Aviv.

And I see Omer explained why that post is stupid.

נערך על ידי ogreish

I know that they block videos of the Premier League, but is there any chance that you can find me highlights of your match against West Brom? Congrats on your win by the way, I am cheering for you now in England (alongside Spurs). I think that's what's nice about this Europa League, the chance to meet fans of other teams without this sense of rivalry - I can't imagine us rooting for a team in Israel and them for us like some of our fans and your fans do here. It's really nice actually.

Well, it is somewhat nice, but there aren't more than 4-5 people who are actually rooting for us, right?

I mean, only 5 people registered here, and the thread on their forum didn't have THAT many people in it... Other don't know that much about us like these guys do.

But if this turns out to be something a bit bigger, it can be very interesting!

Which is kind of bullshit, they are only supposedly working class.

And in Israel today everyone is "middle class", which is becoming altogether a poorer class, which is why we have protests (300,000 people in the streets of Tel-Aviv this month), but that's not the topic here.

אני לא שונא את מעמד הפועלים למרות שהמשפחה שלי נחשבת קפיטליסטית ואפילו חזירית. אבל הפועל מגדיר את מעמד הפועלים

Sadly, there are people who think that they hate the "working class" because Hapoel are supposedly so...

Dor mikha can fuck pennant and etherington at the same time. Eliran atar and roberto colauty can teach your forwards how to play football(i mean soccer) nivaldo can jump higher than both your cb's together and our biggest threat,YOAV ZIV can teach delap how take a throw in

And as you can see, some of our fans are living in a sweet fantasy, the same as you guys lives in, when you talk about your expectations from your national team before a series tournament :)

"הפועל" לא באמת מגדיר מעמד, זה מגדיר אידיאולוגיה, כביכול של מעמד (כי היא מייצגת אינטרס של המעמד שהכי נדפק).

אתה הרבה יותר "מעמד פועלים" (שהוא בתכלס "מעמד עובדים", משום מה תורגם בתור "פועלים" בעבר) מאשר ההסתדרות שהקימה את הפועל.

בערך כל ישראל זה "מעמד עובדים" בפועל.

אין היום בפועל באמת הבדל בין "מעמד פועלים" ל"מעמד ביניים", אם אתה קפיטליסט או לא זה לא משנה את זה. היום עבודות הן לא פיזיות כי יש מכונות בשביל זה, ועדיין, אפילו אם אתה חזיר ואפילו אם השם ישמור קנית אייפון ב-X שקל לחודש עם החזרים, ברגע שאתה עובד בעבודה שכל אחד יכול להחליף אותך בה, ואתה עבד בשכר שמרוויח כמעט בדיוק בשביל מחייה, אתה "מעמד פועלים". כי זאת בערך ההגדרה של "מעמד פועלים". וכן, גם אם להורים שלך יש כסף. עצוב שאנשים לא מודעים לזה. אבל באמת שזה נושא אחר.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYBYP41r4hQ

As you can see, yesterday we beat Ashdod 4-0.

They're not a very strong team, and you obviously can't compare them to your level, but for us it's important, as most teams are weak in this league. Basically we have 3 decent teams (Haifa, Hapoel and us), so it can be a bit of a problem for us to prepare for the Europa League. You play against teams both stronger and weaker than Besiktas, Dinamo and us, so I think that's an advantage for you.

The important thing to notice in our match is that despite a mediocre first half, the players looked determined, and in the second half they did enjoy their football. No player is above the team, so the atmosphere and morale are high.

Afternoon everybody :)

I've had a couple of busy days, which is why I haven't been able to answer some of your questions, I am still beaming about the win on Sunday :D

Congratulations on your win, I am just about to watch the highlights after this message :)

I have seen that England U21's take on Israel U21's next monday, I would go if I wasn't working as it is cheap and only a couple of hours from me. Hoepfully I can get the highlights of this too because somebody said 6 of your players play for the Israel U21's.

There was comments about the working class, it didn't quite make sense to me, but I think somebody said they hate the working class, because that is what your rivals are. Maybe the working class mean different things to us, here most of the country are working class, especially Stoke-On-trent, and historically and tradiktionally football has always been watched mainly by the working class, it was an escape from a hard week working down mines and similar jobs.

Working class is slightly different now, because we don't have these jobes any more, but we still have a lot of working class, people who are on not such good wages. Which is why a lot of people can't justify paying £40 for a match ticket, a long with all the other costs, and a lot of clubs have lost their working class because of this, to be replaced by much richer, but a lot less passionate fans, main examples are Fulham and Arsenal.

Your football seems a lot slower paced than ours, there is rarely a game in the premier league, which is slow. Also there seems to be less closing down opposition players, more intercepting. Ours will be an interesting game, a complete contrast of styles, our focus on defending, counter-attack, and direct football. Yours is slower, but better passing, and working your way into good positions to shoot.

How did they miss that one on one with the keeper :D Shocking miss!

don't forget that we came after a game in thurday vs pananthinaikos

we play slow because it's a game vs a team that defends in their half .

I only watched that one game, and it was only highlights at that, so my conclusions are based on seeing very little.

And I know that Europa can tire players, we were the only English team to play on Thursday in Europe to win, and it wasn't a great performance (apart from defence, that was a good performance)

If we play away there like we did at Thun, and Hajduk, then you will get plenty of time on the ball, and we will hit on the counter.